ZS Idle Tuninig Question

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: ZS Idle Tuninig Question
From: scott suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 1998 22:19:49 -0800
After getting the newly painted exhaust manifold, polished
intake manifold, cleaned and rebuilt ZS carbs and all other
sundary parts back on the '70 TR6, guess what, it fired
right up!  Amazing.

Anyway... I have not been happy with the tuning of the carbs
since the reinstallation.  I have the carbs balanced, the cold
idle is fine at around 1300 to 1500 RPMs. It's the regular idle
that I am having difficulty with.  Here's the symptoms:

After getting the engine warmed up, when I shut the choke
the engine wants to cut out but hangs in enough to climb back
to 8500 RPMs (which I set the idle at). While idling, the
RPMs "pulse" between 8000 and 9000 RPMs. Nothing really bad
but not a smooth idle.

I checked the timing and that showed 4deg ADTC.

Any thoughts come to mind what I should be checking out?

Thanks

Scott Suhring
Elizabethtown, PA
'70 TR6