TR8 PI, was LBC software, what would you wish for?

To: james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk
Subject: TR8 PI, was LBC software, what would you wish for?
From: billsohl@planet.net (Linda and Bill Sohl)
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 1998 18:05:49 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
James Carpenter wrote:
>Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 11:47:39 +0000
>From: James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>
>Subject: LBC software, what would you wish for?

>Question for you all out there.
>I am trying to come up with a Project for my final year of Uni.
>I have to think of three projects, one of which should be hobby related.

>The project is to write a peace of software, this can be run on
>a computer or on a peace of hardware.  That is an embeded system.

>My cource is Computing For Real Time Systems, so somthing like
>an engin management system would be appopreat. I don't have to
>use the Real Time Systems aspect however, so an engin simulation
>for LBC type cars might also be apropreat.

>So my question to you, if you were doing this what would you do?
>Have you any other Ideas on what I could do?

See below.

>I'll try and find out on the legal front wether I can release
>this software/harware design or not.  What ever, I won't start it
>unill September finishing in May.
- --

How about this:

Many Triumph TR8's (as well as Rover 3500s)
have an ECU controlled fuel injection (PI) system.
There are various inputs monitored by the ECU which results in the
varied pulse lengths and pulse repitition rate changes for optimal
performance with minim emmissions.  The system and factory ECU do
a credible job, but in the event of a failure in the system, the
owner and car can be left dead on the side of the road.

WHAT I'D LIKE:  How about developing a simple overide system which
could be installed in the PI TR8 and switched in when or if a
failure was experienced.  The system should be simple and not concerned at
all about emissions levels, but rather it should be of sufficient utility
and control to allow the car to be driven home without damaging the engine.
Such a system would probably require monitoring of at least two inputs:
The amoount of throttle as indicated by the change in the throttle resistance
potentiometer AND the engine speed as a function of the electronic pulses
associated with the distributer.

I'm posting this response also to the TR8 car club list to see if anyone
else there has any ideas or would like to amplify on my thoughts.

Linda and Bill Sohl -- Budd Lake, NJ -- billsohl@planet.net