Re: Spit Diffs Question

To: "Kevin B. Rhodes" <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Spit Diffs Question
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 1998 16:41:45 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Sat, 7 Feb 1998, Kevin B. Rhodes wrote:

> Simple question, would the gear ratios be the same in a 74 Spit
> differential without O/D be the same as those in a 77 with O/D? I am
> contemplating swapping the unit from my low mileage parts car for the
> rather noisy one in my runner.

Should be the same, so long as both are U.S.-spec. cars. They had 3.89:1
gears from 197-80, except for the 1972 models (4.11:1 then). UK-spec.
1500s used a 3.63:1 diff.

> Next question - any pointers for doing this swap?

Pretty easy, actually. Toughest parts are the long bolt through the rear
mounts of the diff., and muscling the old one down and the new one up.

Naturally, this is a good time to replace the rubber mounts, check out
the u-joints and other stuff (like other bushings in the rear
suspension), maybe get some new "nyloc" nuts for the drive flange bolts
(believe me, you don't want these loosening up).

Oh, and make sure the "new" diff. if filled to capacity with the 90
weight before you put it in. It's easier to fill on the bench!

--Andy