RE: Windshield wiper wiring for a TR3A

To: <raymo1@airmail.net>
Subject: RE: Windshield wiper wiring for a TR3A
From: "Brent Smith" <bsmith@inetnow.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 21:17:39 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
>We've got the reprint of the TR2 Shop manual with the TR3 supplement.

The only accurate wiring diagram for the TR3A is in the owner's handbook.
The earlier cars are subtly different.

>Would a positive ground to negative ground be significant?

No.  I converted my car years ago and made no change to the wiper wiring.

>a red wire going from the motor to the top
of the gear box (which is hot when number 1 is hot - 12 volts) and
appears to be insulated from the gearbox cover.

This wire is going to the park switch; power goes through this circuit after
you turn off the panel switch and until the wipers return to 'home' position
and then open this park switch, stopping the motor.  You adjust the stop
position by loosening and slightly rotating the cover.

>On my car We have a post numbered 1 and a post number 2 along with one
labeled 'E' on the motor.

The three wires connected to the motor from top to bottom are:

(Top)           black   -  Ground, also known as 'E'arth connected to the
motor case
(Middle)      green  -  12V from fuse block
(Bottom)     green / black tracer  - to wiper switch on dash

(the wiper switch completes the circuit to ground to operate the motor.)

There is also another black ground wire in the harness that is fastened with
a ring connector to the wiper motor mount using one of the body bolts.

Send me an email if you want to go through this further.

Brent Smith
Atlanta, GA
1960 TR3A
1986 XJ6 SIII