RE: Brake Drums

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Brake Drums
From: tomwalling@pvh.com
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 10:03:03 -0500
>What kind of paint do you use to paint the exterior of the rear brake
drums?
>I have considered a flat black or gloss black engine paint but can only get
>it in spray.  The drums are on the car (TR3A) and I'd rather brush than
>spray.  Would something like Rustoleum work?  Do the drums get that hot as
>to need a high temperature paint?  Thanks for all your inputs.
>
>Bob
>1960 TR3A

I have had really good luck with Rustoleum's Barbecue and Grill black paint.
 It is a "satin" finish black that is neither shiny nor flat.  If the
surface is really clean and grease free, the paint will hold well.  I have
also used it to paint engine blocks.  It really looks good, and the stuff
really does prevent rust from forming.  Eastwood has also been offering
brake drum paint in their catalog.  I have no experience with this, but
their stuff is almost always good (exhaust paint excluded).  I don't think
that there is any danger associated with painting brake drums, as the heat
dissipates through the paint, and are probably no more "insulated" than they
would be with a coat of scaly rust.   The drums really look better with a
coat of paint, and on most Triumph cars, the drums are visible with the
wheels on.  BTW, the Rustolem comes as an aerosol spray and as a brushable
application.  As for heat resistance, I use the brush-on to keep my wood
stove looking good.  I skipped the painting last year, and the stove still
looks great (even after 2 straight weeks of burning during the ice storm
black out here in Maine last month).