Re: (more) Spitfire engine changes

To: amace@unix2.nysed.gov
Subject: Re: (more) Spitfire engine changes
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 1998 10:25:38 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
> Barry, could this be done just with a change in piston, i.e., where the
> wrist pin is located in the piston?
>
> Or is it obvious that I'm no engineer, just a would-be mechanic and
> trivialist? :-)
*******************************
yes very possible, and this is what is normally done when one strokes an
otherwise stock engine.  And in this case it would require an approx.
.23 inch (closer to the top) difference in the position of the wist pin
location.  But it appears the pistons are the same for 71-75 (as the VB
catalog would indicate).  If in fact this is true, then the block would
have to be different.  On the other hand, if the pistons are truly
different for 71-72, or possibly the same for 70-72 and different for 73
and later then it's possible that the block could be the same, and
pistons were changed also to accommodate the stroke increase.  This does
not seem to be the case though, as the block is definitely a different
part (or so its listed) for 71-72, then 73 on -