Re: The International Triumph Spitfire Database<34D208BA.41A1EF@gte.net>

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: The International Triumph Spitfire Database<34D208BA.41A1EF@gte.net>
From: RICHARD.JACKSON@NENE.AC.UK
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 1998 09:07:56 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>, Triumphs Mail List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, RICHARD.JACKSON@NENE.AC.UK
>James,
>I have read that the 1500 engine was borrowed from another Triumph that
>had Front wheel Drive. (I don't recall off hand which one) It would have
>had different number sequences than a Spitfire.  And then there is the
>ever populat Late Midget 1500 (borrowed from the Spit).  But those
>engines began with FP.  There were also other low production cars that
>used the same engine purchased as a unit from Triumph.  The only way to
>know for sure is to check with the BMIHT and see if they have records of
>a 1500 engine bearing that serial number.  By the way, the Herald engine
>numbers began with a G, but the highest I have found is the 1296 that
>had a GE prefix.  Of course the 1300 and 1500 engines share identical
>outside dimensions.  Maybe that is what you have and the GE has been
>distorted to look like a GK.

Late Herald 13/60's had a GK series engine(God I sound sad now), basically it
was the same engine as the MkIV Spit 1300 without the carbs, and possibly a
different cam, ie bigger crank bearings or whatever, and NOT as good as the
earlier 1300.  Now could it possible that a 1500 crank has been fitted to a
late Herald engine to give it the 1500cc, would it fit? Just a thought, come on
Andy, I've mentioned Heralds, I know you can't hold out much longer!!! :-)

Cheerio

Rich

ps, the FWD car you mentioned was called a Triumph 1500 fwd, simple eh!  the
engine wasn't a straight swap though as it had some kind of flywheel at the
front for the starter motor to engage, weird set up if I remember right!