rust proofing

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: rust proofing
From: cavies@xtra.co.nz
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 20:34:19 +1200
The mention of the product Galva Froid has brought back many happy
memories of trying to keep things non rusted on board of boats,
generally very unsuccesfully.

Many years ago (1973) I built a brand new morris minor (long story) but
it would do 100mph in 3rd and around 125 in 4th, genuine speed the only
reason the cop didnt nick me after doing 130mph in his volvo was that he
felt the chance of convincing a court that he had clocked this "morris
minor" at that speed and having them believe it was not worth taking, by
the way its got a full race 1140 under the bonnet, it had 2 x 1.5 SU
carbs.

Anyway I digress, whilst the body was brand new, I rolled it over and
obtained some two pack bitumen based polyurethane paint, this stuff
stuck like the proverbial, to the extent that I had the wings panel
beaten afterwards to accomodate the wide wheels, and this "paint" just
stuck and stuck it was quite amazing.  Anyway the proof is in the fact
that 25 years after I built the car, it only has very minor rust
problems around the bottom of the wings, probably beacause it has been
stored outside for probably 20 out of the 25 years.

I dont know if its still possible to buy this paint, but I think it was
made by International paints, and I remember that the special stuff to
clean the brush in was a fortune, so we just let the brush go rock hard.

So if anybody is doing a major rebuild, it maybe worth trying to source
some of this stuff.

Gavin Williams.