Re: Rings

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, "MG LIST" <mgccnwc-list@eskimo.com>
Subject: Re: Rings
From: "William West" <will_thane@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 19:20:40 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
Hello!

As you may recall, I had damaged the top ring on one of the pistons for my
1500 project. TS Import Automotive (and Ted S.) were excellent in that they
sold me a set of rings for a single piston and they were delivered
expediently! (Thanks!!!) One question: The new set is beveled while the old
set was not beveled. I was planning on just replacing the damaged ring, but
now am wondering if I should replace both the top and middle ring because of
the bevel.

Will a beveled top ring work with a non-beveled middle ring???

If not, and I have to replace both, I've found that the new middle ring just
barely meets the minimum gap specs (.012, I believe). If I use a little
might, the feeler gauge will squeeze into the gap. Should I file this down a
little? Or is such a condition OK?  Is there anything I need to know about
filing a piston ring?

Sorry about what probably seem to be such kindergarten level
questions...This first timer wants to make sure he does it right!

Will