Re: 2 TR 4 Keys Up for Grabs (Free)

To: Joseph Sholtes <joeiv@concentric.net>
Subject: Re: 2 TR 4 Keys Up for Grabs (Free)
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 21:44:40 -0500 (EST)
Cc: Triumph list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Tue, 27 Jan 1998, Joseph Sholtes wrote:

> TR 4 Owners,
>
>    While taking apart a TR 4 tailight, I came across a pair of
> keys.  They were located in the turn signal area, along side the
> bulb, held there by the rear lamp lens.  I guess they were some
> sort of emergency back-up incase of getting locked out.  That
> was a cool idea- as long as you had a phillips (uh excuse me,
> "posi-drive") screwdriver handy!

Actually, that was pretty much the "standard" location for the spare set
of keys, whilst the cars were being shipped from the factory to far-flung
places such as the USofA. At various times, spare keys were also taped to
the bottom of the windshield washer bottle on some models. (That's were
dad and I found the spare set of keys for his Herald, about four years
after he first bought it new.)

ISTR seeing new Austin Americas on the dealer's lot with a spare key held
down by a sheet metal screw on some panel just under the hood. If a smart
would-be thief had just known where to look for the spare keys, some
dealers easily could have been short quite a few new cars back then!

--Andy