History of BL

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: History of BL
From: Bill Wood <triumph1@nr.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 23:37:23 -0800
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 22:53:53 -0500 (EST)
From: tad <trnelson@umich.edu>

does anyone know if there are any published books on the rise and fall
of
the "British Leyland Empire?"  i've hunted high and low state-side
without much luck...

or if someone would care to give me a condensed verion via post, that
would be interesting,too

thanks
tad

Tad,

_Triumph Cars The Complete Story_ by Graham Robson and Richard Langworth
gives a really good perspective from the Triumph view-point.  I'm sure
each car company within the conglomerate has its story to tell...  It is
by no means comprehensive, nor does it go past the TR8/Acclaim
(depending on which YOU consider to be the last TRIUMPH) story.

Michael Edwardes wrote a book called _Back From The Brink_ chronicling
his years as BL leader.  It too is not comprehensive, but a good read,
if a little boring, on how/why BL struggled to get itself under
control.  After reading this book, which Andy Mace was kind enough to
locate for me using his talent, I wondered, really wondered, how
Triumph, or any other BL members were able to produce automobiles at
all.  When I finished, I realized it was NOT the TR7 that brought an end
to Triumph production.

I have tried to surf the Net to find more info, but have found only a
few things at the Electronic Telegraph, the on-line companion to the
Daily Telegraph.

There was a magazine article that I read withing the last 18 months that
addressed this subject, but at the moment I cannot remember the
publication in which it appeared.

Maybe some of our English cousins can enlighten us on this subject.

Bill Wood
1973 TR6
1979 TR8 Coupe
1980 TR8 Coupe