GT6 master cylinder

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: GT6 master cylinder
From: Sam Gentry <hsgentry@cfw.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 12:05:28 -0500
I have a '72 GT6 and I have a spare master cylinder.  The spare and the one
on the car appear identical, but the number on the castings are different
(by one digit I think).  Is there anyway to know if this spare is the
correct one for this car.  The shop manual discussed 50/50 and 70/30 master
cylinders, and the importance of using the correct one, but it did not say
how to tell the difference.

I would like to overhaul the spart to have it available, but not if it is
not correct.  Also, V-B shows two repair kits, one for before 10/72 and one
after.  The one after 10/72 has a lot more parts in the kit and costs a lot
more.  I have no way of knowing what is on the car and what the spare is.
The one on the car has a band (yellow plastic) around it with another
number on it (maybe the part number).  The spare has no band.

Anyone have any words of wisdom?

Sam