Re: triumphs@autox.team.net digest #979 Tue Jan 27 02:35:01 MST 1998

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: triumphs@autox.team.net digest #979 Tue Jan 27 02:35:01 MST 1998
From: Barry Shefner <jacad@CAM.ORG>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 07:25:22 -0500
> Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 00:28:37 EST
> From: Matrix1643 <Matrix1643@aol.com>
> Subject: TR3a Frame Questions
>
> Ok...I got the body off the frame...the engine and transmission have been
> removed.   Now I have a rolling frame and need to know what all exactly needs
> to be removed before I take it to get sandblasted?  And please some
> instructions on how to remove it.  I greatly appreciate all the help the list
> has given and look forward to more questions as my restoration continues..
>
> Derek Van Treese
>
> 60 TR3a
> TS 67917

Start by removing everything Derek! There isn't a think that should be left on
your frame
for sandblasting (except 40 years of rust of course!)
By memory these are the things you should remove :
- place the car on sturdy jacks and remove wheels
- gas line
- all brake lines (cut them right off as you will want to replace all the
pipes, but mark &
save the pipes so that you can bend the new ones the same way)
-remove radiator : 2 bolts at either side that bolt to frame
- remove transmission: 2 or 4 bolt holes that hold it down at the cruxiframe, 4
bolts that
hold the driveshaft
- exhaust system: bracket located in front of cruxiframe, 1 hanger in front of
muffler, 1
hanger at rear
- unbolt rear axle: 4 bolts on either side (you might as well cut them off as
they will be
too rusted to salvage)
- front suspension, remove your brake cylinders (don't destroy these bolts),
remove the
brake disks and disk protectors, detach inner & outer  tie rods and remove
steering box,
detach rebound bump stops, disconnect the vertical steering link  (before you
try this run
out and get 2 plates of steel 1/2" X 3" x 12" and cut out a 3/4" hole at either
end, 2
threaded rods of 3/4" with 4 nuts and 4 large washers) You will need all this
to fashion a
gizmo to compress your lower A arm so the you can safely remove the coil
spring without
killing or maiming someone) once the coil pressure is relieved, remove upper
nut of shock
absorber, nut remove large nut at bottom of the trunion then upper tie rod -
then slowly
unbolt the compression gizmo to relieve the coil spring pressure. you can now
safely remove
your lower A-arm (6 nuts wich hold your spring pan), 2 small bolts and a nut
holding lower
fulcrum bracket on either side of lower wishbone arms, upper fulcrum pin
assembly (4 bolts
which you will need to take note of as the inside 2 are of a shorter length so
as not to
interfere with the operation of the coil spring when reinstalled) and finally
your coil
spring and aluminium packing peice
- et voila your frame should be basically fully "stripped" and ready for the
sandblaster

P.S. After you do blast it, inspect the frame members for perforation of the
tubes and
repair if necessary and check the alignment of the framemembers

I may have left out a few odds and ends as my memory is fading fast once I past
43:}
good luck and if you need anything else let me know. (BTW getting a bently
manual which
explains everything in greater detail would be a good idea as well)

Barry Shefner
59 TR3A OTS 57675