OD

To: stevens@erols.com
Subject: OD
From: rgb@exact.com
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 09:04:25 1998
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
They are numbered  xx/xxxxxx/xxxxxx  the last number is
just a serial number, the first number is the basic model,
the middle seems to be the version.  The Spit J-type is
exactly the same as that used on a TR6 except for the stud
attachments and the speedo gear/drive cog combo.  You'd need
to change the speedo, i.e. $100 and disassemble it.  You'd
need the adaptor plate, new mainshaft, oil pump cam and pieces.
Plus gaskets and you may as well install new rings at a minimum.
Do the rebuild of the main tran as inserting the mainshaft requires
a complete dissassembled trans.  You'll need a new hardened shim
to adjust the gap as the new mainshaft will shift everything.

Let's see, what have I forgotten, the angle drive, new longer
speedo cable (out of stock at TRF), new trans mounts while there.

Oh, yeah, the top cover must be modified, I have a template, to
drill and tap the additional switch for the harness.  Yes, you'll
need the new switch (these are shimmed by the way, don't just
screw it in), shims, new wiring harness (make you own is better
on the J-types), and the new OD switch on the column and the new
plastic thing on the left side.

I'll let you add the numbers, but an OD conversion generally costs
$$$ dollars in addition to the OD.  Try ordering that little aluminum
adaptor for instance, I paid $125 for the last new one I found.

It would seem that ordering a newly rebuild OD/trans combo from the
U.K. for $1100 and just slipping it in one day is a better idea.

The normal owner of the "stable maiden" car just buys the used OD
and lets it set in the garage, I bet there are hundred's of these
sitting around.

>is it possible the Volvo o/d could be adapted without lots of effort?

Yep, just add up the above before you start.  Oh, if its a used OD
the solenoid is likely missing or defective, just add $100 to above.

Roger

--
Roger G. Bolick, rgb@exact.com 512-794-9567, FAX 345-2879