Oil seal question

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Oil seal question
From: "William West" <will_thane@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 20:42:50 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
This may sound like a stupid question, and it probably is, Buuuuuttttttt....

Scenario: 1500 project motor, and me never having ventured so deeply into
the works of an engine. Motor is in pieces...time to install rear oil
seal....It appears that the seal just pushes securely into place, but my
mind is curious, as it seems like that neat little groove with what looks
like a spring inside should logically have something slidden into it. (ok,
make obvious jokes here...)

Would someone be so kind as to tell me the intricate details of the affairs
of an oil seal???  Thanks in advance!

Will