Chassis Rails

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Chassis Rails
From: Brendan Perry <bhp@star.le.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 15:41:05 +0000 (GMT)
Hello,

My '64 Herald Saloon just failed it's MOT. The garage says that my
'near side chassis rail' is too rusty (but everything else passed).
What are my options here? I'm more knowledgeable of engine/trans/
electrical stuff than chassis/frame issues.

Can I get a new rail from somewhere like Rimmer Bros and how much will
it cost (approximately) to have this part (and do I have to have it)
welded? I haven't looked at it yet because it's still at the garage
and depending on the advice I receive here, I thought I might take it
directly to a welder and have the work done since the replacement rail
(from the Rimmer catalogue) is only 22 quid, unless it'd cost more
than the car is WORTH to have it done, it which case I'll have to
weigh other, unpleasant, options.

Any advice would be appreciated.

cheers,

Brendan