removing the motor head

To: "'rick'" <rbacon@netcom.ca>, "'triumphs'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: removing the motor head
From: "Janssen, Lee K" <lee.k.janssen@lmco.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 06:59:28 -0700
>Huh... Any tips on removing the head from the TR6's motor?
>Would a sharp blow from a 20 pound hammer help the %&#! thing???

Oh what joy you are about ready to embark on!!
The "rope" trick - loosen the head nuts so that they are almost off,
remove the spark plugs, position the crank at bottom dead center, cram
as much rope as possible into #1 and #6 piston. Turn the starter and if
you are lucky the starter will have enough torque to pop the head off.
I wasn't lucky. (use the rope to hang yourself now and save some time).
On my head the bolts that lie outside of the valve cover gasket were
frozen in place due to a combination of rust, cooked oil and pika
droppings (my marmot is confined to the trunk).
I assume that a stud extractor can be used to pull the bolts out of the
block. From other e-mail it sounds like it might take a little bit of
effort.
I constructed jig #1 out of a large piece of scrap angle iron that
attaches to the side on the head via the exhaust / intake bolts. On the
top of the angle iron I drilled and tapped holes that were directly
above the head bolts. By placing a series of bolts in the jig I
tightened them together and the head slowly slithered up the cruddy
bolts. Finding the correct size angle iron is the tricky part since you
don't want too much overhang otherwise it will run into the valve
springs. You could remove the springs but since I had a torch handy I
hacked the angle iron down to size instead.
The other bank of head bolts that lie under the valve cover should be
free. If not, you can construct jig #2 from a 2" by 1/2" piece of steel
that has holes drilled so that it can slide over the rocker shaft studs.
Slide the jig over the studs, slide on a Craftsman socket to use as a
spacer, add a couple of washers and finally a nut. As you tighten down
on the rocker stud the jig pushes down on the head bolts and lifts the
head off. Only use jig #2 if you know there is a problem with this set
of bolts holding the head down.
Since I started this without knowing what the problem was I applied jig
#2 before jig #1 and found that you can waste a lot of time and only get
half of the head off.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Lee Janssen

lee.k.janssen@lmco.com