procedure for checking carb diaphrams....

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: procedure for checking carb diaphrams....
From: Jon Moody <mood@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 11:47:32 -0500
Well I'm gonna show my ignorance, but I was hoping to debug my fuel
system this weekend.  Last week my car was really sputtering when I did
anything more than idle.  Several people suggested that I probably have
a torn diaphram in one of the carbs.  How careful do I need to be when
checking my carb diaphrams?  Is just a matter of unscrewing the tops and
checking them out or what?  (I'm wondering about torque settings etc).
Is it possible to isolate which carb would be causing this before I rip
it apart?

If just one diaphram is torn would it cause this type of problem? I ask
that because I would think that the other carb wold still operate OK and
the symptom would be a loss of power, not the spitting and sputtering my
car was exhibiting.

Also will any fuel filter work?  If its not either of those, is it safe
to assume that I need to rebuild my fuel pump?  Thanks.

-Jon Moody '73 TR6