'72 Spitfire IV, Frame Differences from 1500?

To: Triumph list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: '72 Spitfire IV, Frame Differences from 1500?
From: Joseph Sholtes <joeiv@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 18:43:02 -0500
Spitfire experts,

  I have two questions, first-

    I went to look at a 1972 vintage Spitfire that I MAY get
for cheap.  Just what I "need" in the midst of the TR 250 resto-
ration...  I used to own a Spitfire- but that was seven years ago.
>From what I remember, the only area to look for frame rot was
at the low point in the rear frame rails, near the rear suspension
mounts.  I took a peak under the back of this Spit, and I saw
the frame ended right at the suspension mounts, and the section
leading upwards to the rear bumper was not there.  Is this the way
the Mark IV frame is supposed to be, or is it some sort of a DPO
botch job?

 And second question-

  What should I look for by way of potential major problems, specific
to the Spitfire? I mean besides floors, trunk bottom, battery box, front
valence corners, or engine thrust wear?  I  already know about the usual
car stuff like top, interior, tires suspension, etc., but am wondering about
any other Spifire weak areas.

                                            JOE IV
                                            TR 250 (already taking all my time
& money)