Re: Radiators. Warning

To: Bollen <bollen@ibm.net>
Subject: Re: Radiators. Warning
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 06:01:33 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>Never had a problem with my radiator. Took it out of the 6 about two
>months ago,reinstalled it last week and had it weeping all over the
>place. Radiator shop wanted $196 to recore it, so I decided to spend
>$220 on a new one. Moral is, if you take the rad out, block off the
>bottom outlet and keep it filled. I have since been told that once they
>dry out, they rust from the inside out when they are 20 years old.
*************************************
There's nothing in a radiator to rust, it's made out of copper and brass
with a little solder to hold it all together - it may however have corroded
away, but chances are it was on it's last legs and probably would have gone
anyway being that old.  I have had radiators out for much longer periods
without incident, although I usually seal up the openings just to keep
crawly things out - must keep my fingers crossed though, my heater core is
the original one in the Spitfire, pretty good, 26 + years old and still
puts out plenty of heat, and no leaks!  Not that it's so expensive, but
what a pain to replace!!!!

Barry Schwartz   (San Diego)
bschwart@pacbell.net

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (When I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spit (Currently undergoing a frame off)
73 Ford Courier (parts hauler)