RE: Triumph Logo

To: "'Joe Curry'" <curry@wolfenet.com>, Tory Johnson <toryj@bellsouth.net>
Subject: RE: Triumph Logo
From: "Musson, Carl" <musson@satie.arts.usf.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 01:31:18 -0500
Cc: triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Back in the dark ages (about 1966) I befriended a young chap from
Coventry. We were both working in LA at the time.  Since I was the proud
papa of TS51....; we spent alot of time touring the countryside from
northern Mexico to Vancouver, BC.   Phil's Uncle or a friend's Uncle
(that part is real vague) worked at the Plant in Coventry.  The story I
heard (realize this is about third or fourth hand and 30 years removed)
was that it was in fact a variation on a knight's shield.  Modified to
include the (for lack of the correct word) helmet mask - the part that
hinged down and covered the face with slots for seeing through.  Early
versions (supposedly) included a swirl of fabric or maybe feathers from
the top center that swept down and behind the shield/mask and then
across where the word Triumph is overlaid.  Being young and
impressionable, it seemed a logical explanation to me.   Was it a tall
story, maybe? But plausible...

The other variation I heard many years later was that it was a
representation of the gates at the main entrance to Sir John's estate.

Carl