V B remanufactured tranmissions

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: V B remanufactured tranmissions
From: HMENTZEN <HMENTZEN@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 18:50:05 EST
I'm thinking of replacing the tranny (4spd) in my Spit. The DPO abused reverse
and had some new teeth hard faced onto the gears. It clunks like crazy when
going in reverse. The reman tranny(about $500) seems cheaper than a rebuild
kit plus the offending gears. I like the idea of a quick swap and not testing
my limited mech ability. Any advise woulld be welcome. I'm planning on going
through the clutch at the same time. Any thoughts? Are there better parts
sources out there? I'm in New England.
Another question- If I get to this stage in the project  is it  easy to change
the rear main oil seal? Or is that  another chapter?(like pulling the engine)
I get oil leaking only when the car is parked with the nose higher than the
tail.
So little knowledge and so many question!
Hans Mentzen
FM92061