Re: Final drive ratio question

To: Turner & Turner <turner@turner.se>
Subject: Re: Final drive ratio question
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 13:50:44 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>2. After much consideration, I'm going to rebuild my TR6 with a J-type
>overdrive and high-torque / fast road setup. Ultimately, I'm more
>interested in acceleration than top end, so what diff ratio suits me
>best?
************************
For sheer acceleration *usually* the higher numerical, lower ratio (3.7:1)
will give you more acceleration, at the expense of higher speed at the top
end.  It depends somewhat on the gear ratios in your transmission also in
that you could install a lower rear end ratio but the gearing in the tranny
is such that first is almost useless, (5000 rpm comes up so fast and your
only traveling say 10 mph as an example) that you end up using second for
first, and that's maybe just a little too tall to be an effective first -
you get the picture.  Selecting ratios *can* be a time consuming, and
frustrating experience.  To do it effectively probably requires more work
than one would normally want to go through, although there are some quite
effective programs on this web site that you might just find useful -

http://sura1.jlab.org/~bowling/auto.html

There are some effective tire/gear/rear end ratio formulas that may give
you some ideas

Barry Schwartz   (San Diego)
bschwart@pacbell.net

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (When I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spit (Currently undergoing a frame off)
73 Ford Courier (parts hauler)