Re: Electrical question - GT-6

To: Robert_Verde@pgn.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Electrical question - GT-6
From: DANMAS <DANMAS@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 17:13:31 EST
Robert_Verde@pgn.com writes:

> 1967 Triumph GT-6, dash lights and turn signals are very dim unless engine
is
> revved.  Fine at road speed, but difficult to see guages (at night) while
> idling.  I have replaced the battery, as well as a cracked ground cable,
with
> no apparent effect (both items needed replacing anyway).

Robert,

A good battery, fully charged, will produce about 12.6 volts. An alternator,
with the engine above idle, will produce about 14.6 volts. 2 volts can make a
difference. Also, at idle, the alternator voltage is often below the battery
voltage. Couple that with the voltage drop through all the wiring connectors
caused by the many years of corrosion accumulation, and the voltage seen by
the lights can drop even below the 12.6 value.

For the lights to dim a little at idle is normal. If they dim too much, then
you need to clean the wiring connections.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'74 MGBGT---3000mile/year driver, original condition, slated for a V8 soon!
'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74