Re: Honesty

To: "Charlie B." <cb1500@erols.com>, "Joe and Trish" <jthaider@micron.net>
Subject: Re: Honesty
From: kengano@advant.com (Gano, Ken)
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 18:52:24 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
    Yeah, I can "sort of" answer the legal question.

    First and foremost.  Truth is always a defense (at least to libel).
There is also another action for "public disclosure of a private
transaction" but I recently got one of those thrown out of the federal court
for the Southern District of Illinois.  Not a favored action.

Regardless, if what Joe and Trish are saying is factual, I wouldn't worry
about disclosure and, in fact, made the same suggestion to them.  They
probably can't afford to sue for the amount of their loss, but I would think
the bad guy would be in the same position as to his allege losses to
reputation, etc.  Besides, it would make a very powerful argument to any
jury that the bad guy had, in fact, ripped them off.

Just my $0.02
kengano@advant.com
Ken Gano, attorney
downstate illinois