Re: Torque settings on rockers

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Torque settings on rockers
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egil@kvaleberg.no>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 05:28:43 GMT
On 7 Jan 1998, Pete & Aprille Chadwell wrote:

> When I installed my cam, which calls for a .014" clearance on both exhaust
> and intake, I forgot about the "unique" spec and set them all to .010".  It
> ran, but not very well at all.  After a few minutes of panic and pondering,
> I remembered the .014" spec.  Changed it right then and there, and when I
> started it up again, it ran like a top.

A cam designed for .014 should oc course be set to that clearance. If you
use .010 on such a cam, the valve might start to open in the ramp part of
the cam profile. The ramp is where the valve lash is being taken up
before the valve opening commences. This will open the valve too early
(and close too late), which might result in a lumpy idle due to gas
leaks. But worse, it also easily causes burned exhaust values.

Egil
--
Email: egil@kvaleberg.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Snail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway