TR6 seat upholstery questions

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, oehrle@cadence.com
Subject: TR6 seat upholstery questions
From: Lex Garey <lgarey@mail.dot.state.nc.us>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 1998 17:03:31 -0500
Gary -
I'm sorry the seats in your TR6 are sad.  Mine were too.  They are now
happy, since being re-covered in summer '96.  I got my kit from TRF, and it
worked fine.  I'm not familiar with anyone else's kits.
I also replaced the foam, because mine was rotten.  Also the diaphragms
and rubber straps.
I didn't have the time to do the work myself, so I had it done at a local auto
upholstery shop.  I removed the seats and took them to him.  The labor
cost $175, which was a good price (I think).
One problem that has appeared is caused by the bottom of the headrest
post, which pushes out on the fabric on the back of the seat, especially if
the headrest is in the lowered position (mine usually is because the
springy thing which helped hold it up is gone).   This has caused the
fabric to begin to wear here, and it looks like the post may poke through
soon.  Before I re-covered the seats, they had a piece of thick cardboard
underneath  the rear fabric to protect against this, but none came with the
new kit.  I'm not sure if it's available or not, but something like that may be
a good idea.
Also, while the seats are uncovered, it's a good time to do any
mechanical repairs to the frame that may be needed.
Good luck.
   -     Lex Garey, Shelby, NC    '74 TR6