Dumb and dumber still...

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, amace@unix2.nysed.gov
Subject: Dumb and dumber still...
From: GuyotLeonF <GuyotLeonF@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 1998 08:08:12 EST
Hmmm,those earlier examples of idiocy are certainly tuff acts to follow:
But there was the time,some years back,I had new valve guides put into my
Herald's Cylinder-Head,and after carefully replacing the head,and reassembling
the rest of the engine,including refitting the supercharger,it ran really very
badly,making a lot of noise etc...it didn't take me long to discover the head-
nut washer,on the head-stud embedded below the copper-head gasket! but it did
take some time to strip it all down again,remove the head and replace
everything again!
   Then there was the time I drove my Herald into my sisters garden,(in the
dark), lest it should get damaged whilst parked out in the road,and 'found'
her long lost cast iron garden bench hiding in the undergrowth! fortunately
the damage wasn't too bad,just paint scraping.
   One wet winter night,I was putting my Herald away in my rented lock-up
garage and decided to reverse into the garage,the concrete-surfaced manovering
space in front of which was rather tight,so I drove down onto the grassy slope
in front of the concrete area with the idea of reversing back up onto the
concrete,and with the nose of my car inches away from the apartment block rear
wall,discovered that my Limited Slip (Quaif) Differential,(in which I had so
much faith),doesn't work in reverse!
Rear wheels span merrily,clutch started to burn,grass gave way to mud,and car
slipped forward toward the apartment block!
   Two muddy hours later,after changing clothes,jacking up the rear
wheels,with jack placed on wooden sheets,and several layers of old carpet
placed between grass/mud and rear tyres,I finally managed to extracate myself
from that embarrasment!
I had no problem in seeing what I was doing,as by now,all the occupants of the
apartment had their lights on so they could see too!!!
   Just when I thought I had done it all...I bought a Spitfire! (Mk.IV with
overtuned engine,far too hot Camshaft and twin Weber 45DCOE's,2" diameter
unrestricted exhaust,and as usual with all cars I've ever bought,it was almost
empty on fuel/gas... I drove it into a petrol/gas station,it was one of the
very rare non-self service stations left here,the pump attendant,a middle-aged
lady asked me to unlock the fuel cap,but first I had to escape from the car
myself...no handles on the inside of the doors,a hardtop fitted and,the
drivers,(RHS),outside door handle was broken,the push-button also missing!
Well,that WAS embarrasing! I think she said "is this really your car sir?" but
luckily for me I found a broken interior door handle under the seat which I
used to open the drivers,(RHS),window,and just managed to contort myself out
of it!
   Funny,I sold that particular car pretty soon after that! (actually,I only
wanted the tuning stuff)...ps.it has now been restored,by someone else.
   Then there was the time...
Oh I could go on like this all day,but that's Triumph life I guess.
Nothing major,but lots and lots of silly little things.

Have a Great 98 and in Triumph.
Leon
London,England,(UK not NE).
Herald & Vitesse Convertibles,Red.