Re: Refitting clutch on '79 Spitfire.

To: Michael Holmes <mholmes@sirius.com>
Subject: Re: Refitting clutch on '79 Spitfire.
From: Thomas J Howard <thoward@sdcoe.k12.ca.us>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 14:43:26
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
At 10:02 AM 12/23/97 -0800, you wrote:
> I've replaced the clutch plates and am now trying to refit the
>bellhousing and gear box back onto the engine.  I've used a dowell as a
>centering tool for the driven plate.  I can't seem to get the splines of
>the shaft into the splined opening in the clutch plate.  Any
>suggestions?  Most appreciated.  My e-mail is above.
>Thanks again.

It has to be very, very close to perfect alignment to slip in.   Make
certain that the crankshaft and the transmission shaft are in alignment
while slipping the trans in.  Also, put the trans into 4th gear and rotate
the output shaft while engaging.

(another good trick it to install two LONG bolts into the top of the engine
backplate that you can "hang" the transmission on while installing.   Then
remove them and replace with the regular bolts.)

Tom Howard
Lakeside Union School District
('72 Triumph GT6, and a good bit of USA iron)