Re: Dash lights.

To: Tory Johnson <toryj@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Dash lights.
From: schuyler grace <schuyler@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 12:58:05 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Tory,

I don't recall the details of the shimmy problem you related in your earlier
post, but maybe the following will help.  In the past, I've found two common
problems that will result in shimmy:

-  Improper tightening of the lug nuts -- too much torque at one time and
tightening down the lug nuts in the wrong order will warp the wheel, the
hub, and/or the disc/drum.  Most often, simply removing all of the lug nuts,
spinning the wheel around one or two studs, and *gradually* retightening the
nuts in the proper sequence will resolve this problem.

-  Slipped plies in one or more tires.  I've run into this on both cheap and
very expensive tires, and it causes the tire to loose it's roundness, either
laterally or around its circumference (or both).  You can isolate this
problem to one or more tires by moving the tires around on the car and
checking to see if the problem moves with the tires.

Hope this helps!

-Schuyler

 --
Schuyler E. Grace