Re: Rear main seal

To: John Middlesworth <jape@email.unc.edu>
Subject: Re: Rear main seal
From: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 1997 16:32:33 -0500
Cc: Junboot@aol.com, Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
At 03:32 PM 12/2/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Is there any truth to the rumor that the Moss rear seals are no longer
>sold because they don't work, and that Moss has had to replace numerous
>cranks that have been cut to fit the seal?
>
>John Middlesworth
>1966 TR4A

John,

I don't believe so, as the same, or similar seal, was advertised by British
Frame and Engine, Ken Gallanders (BFEKENG@aol.com), in their recently sales
flier.

In any event, I find it difficult to believe that Moss would accept any
responsibility for replacing the cranks, as much as we might think they should.

I do know that at least one individual (lister or club member?) complained
that their machinist was pretty certain the "grind to" dimension was wrong
on the instruction set, although I can't confirm who supplied this seal.

What I want to know is what would happen if I installed the seal without
cutting the crank, a tempting proposition for me, as I have a leak, but am
not ready to pull the engine and crank to replace it.  Could I ream out the
inside dimension of the seal to make up for not grinding and polishing the
crank?  Obviously not a permanant fix, but a 10,000 mile patch would be
great.  Anybody out there have an opinion on this?

Later:

I just called Moss's east coast warehouse.  They have 7 seal sets in stock,
so I guess they haven't been pulled.  Their price was $129, $4 higher than
Ken Gallanders.  I'd buy Ken's based on the same price. Yes, a shameless
plug for an excellent TR guy/shop (no interest, etc., etc.)

Later,

Jack