Brake Rotor and Clean-up Question

Subject: Brake Rotor and Clean-up Question
From: David Moag <moag@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 22:14:33 -0800
As a first step to restoring my TR3B, I am replacing all the hydraulics and
rebuilding the brakes. The rotors look to be in fairly good shape (no
nicks, bumps, etc), but are covered with a light layer of surface rust. Can
I clean these up myself, or should I take them to a professional to do. If
the former, should I use only chemicals? I am afraid if I do any grinding
or sanding I'd end up leaving the rotor surface uneven.

In general, what types of parts should NOT be bead-blasted? Pretty much the
whole car needs serious cleaning up, but I've never done the blasting
before and wouldn't want to do more harm than good in the process.

Thanks for any advice you may have.