Re: Door towels WAS: Getting in gear

To: "Andrew Lindeman" <Dr_Faustus@cyber-west.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Door towels WAS: Getting in gear
From: "Atwell (Buff) Haines" <carbuff@scooter.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 19:09:12
At 06:06 PM 11/29/97 -0700, Andrew Lindeman wrote:
 >I pulled apart my passenger side door today, to try and figure out why
>my window wouldn't roll down.  I found two towels stuffed in the bottom of
>the door.  I checked the regulator, everything seemed sturdy.  I didn't
>notice any rattling or anything unusual driving around latter.  Anyone have
>any ideas why there were there?  Maybe it was a good spot to store towels
>for washing?

Gee, I never thought of storing my washing towels in the door.   If they
are monogrammed, maybe they are a variation of the old "put an I.D. card in
the door" trick to aid recovery if the car is stolen.   :)

Seriously,  did your door have its bottom window stop installed?  This is
sort of an L-bracket, mounted at the center of the bottom of the inner
vertical door frame, with two 5/16 head bolts.   From the factory, it had a
thick felt piece (1/2") that the window (or regulator mechanism) would
contact at the bottom of its travel.  The stop would limit the downward
movement of the window, and the felt would prevent rattling when the window
contacted it.

If the felt fell off, the window would have gone down too far and would
clunk around.   Maybe the towels were to replace the felt?    If the felt
is missing, I'm sure a thick piece of rubber glued to the stop (which is
adjustable up and down) would serve the same purpose.

I just cleaned and greased everything inside the doors on my '79 Spit.  One
side had loose regulator hardware, and the door handle mechanisms were
gasketless and gummy.   Replaced the inner and outer waist seals while I
was at it. It was all "a lot of fun".

Atwell (Buff) Haines
'79 Spitfire FM96062

Succasunna, NJ USA
CarBuff@scooter.net
"There are three types of people in this world:
those that are good with numbers, and those that aren't."