Re: tr-6 front suspension

To: Gary Nafziger <naffy@netins.net>
Subject: Re: tr-6 front suspension
From: "Robert J. Carley" <rcarley@uoguelph.ca>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 11:30:14 -0500 ()
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Gary:  Don't know if you have gotten a reply yet to your question.  I just
went through a complete front suspension rebuild on my 73 '6', and had the
same question.  The two upper A-arms on each side of the car are different
in shape, as you state.  One has a much more pronounced 'bend' in it.
This one - with the pronounced bend - goes toward the front of the car.
This is illustrated in the Triumph Repair Operation Manual on page
60.15.02 and page 60.30.02.  I'm not that mechanical, but believe that
this provides the correct angle of the front vertical link.

If I recall each one is stamped both L and R. Depending on which side
of the car you install them, the correct letter stamp should face up
when they are installed correctly.

You also have to be sure to replace the two bolts holding the top A arms
to the ball joint in the correct direction (at least according to the
repair manual). The outer bolt faces forward, the inner bolt faces
backward.

Hope this helps, and hope someone on the list will correct me if my memory
hasn't been that clear.

Robert Carley
73 TR6
Ontario, Canada (re-doing seats over the Winter).