Hydraulic Hoses, was Re: TR3 Brakes Sticking

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Hydraulic Hoses, was Re: TR3 Brakes Sticking
From: billsohl@planet.net (Linda and Bill Sohl)
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 10:49:10 -0500 (EST)
Here's another cause of sticking brakes (as well as slow releasing
hydraulic cluth operation).  Don't rule out the
flexible hoses in your brake/clutch hydraulics.

These hoses swell over the long haul and can act like check valves.
They'll pass fluid when under pressure as when braking, but slowly release
afterwards.  I had this problem with the front hydraulic hoses
for my Herald's front brakes as well as the clutch hydraulics
on my TR-3A.  Replacing the hoses instantly cured the brake
release problem on the Herald and the slow clutch release on my TR-3A.
The brake release problem on the Herald was so bad, the brakes wouldn't
release at all.  I discover the cause after diconnecting the hydraulic line
at the wheel cylinder at which point the brakes immediately released
on the wheel I did that to.

Many Triumphs are still being driven with their original hydraulic
hoses and it'd be a smart thing to replace all of them now at one time and
eliminate that as being any part of a problem for another 20 years or more.
I've also heard of some TR-8 owners experiencing this problem with
their brakes already.

Cheers and happy Thanksgiving weekend.

Bill Sohl
VTR Public Relations Mgr.