Crickets

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Crickets
From: schuyler grace <schuyler@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 18:20:53 -0800
Hi, everyone!

It appears that crickets have taken up residence in Malibu Barbie's
Dream Car's engine compartment, and I'm not sure whether this is a
problem or not (or just my imagination).

Before MBDC's unfortunate run-in with transmission stones this summer, I
don't recall having heard the sound of their chirping, but it is
bothering me more every time I drive her, now.  I think it's valve train
related, because it sounds like the valve noise you would normally hear
coming from an air cooled VW engine (high pitched but not nearly that
loud).  BTW, I adjusted the valve lash a couple of weeks ago, and that
didn't seem to have any effect.  Also, I noticed that most of the lash
settings were right on the mark, with the others all no wider than 0.013
-- is this small amount of wear normal for four years and 15k miles? --
and some of the rockers will move very slightly side to side when they
are on the heel of the cam.

So, what's the prognosis, doctors?  Good?  Bad?  Wear earplugs and seek
counseling for paranoia?

Any ideas will be most appreciated.

-Schuyler
--
Schuyler E. Grace
'73 Spitfire 1500 - FM1183U (with optional crickets)