Re: Mk3 spitfire suspension upgrade<347C6E2B.2AE8@earthlink.net>

To: Peter Lucas <pllj@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Mk3 spitfire suspension upgrade<347C6E2B.2AE8@earthlink.net>
From: RICHARD.JACKSON@NENE.AC.UK
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 09:03:40 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: Jonathan Miles <MILESJE@novell2.bham.ac.uk>, timm01@cs.soaks.kent.sch.uk, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, RICHARD.JACKSON@NENE.AC.UK
>Jonathane,

>       Been there, done that!

>       First-          you need a later model spring.
>       Second-         (2) new half shafts. The later model Spits are a total
>                               of 1" wider.

Wrong, You don't NEED the wider shafts, early MkIV Spitfires still used these
shorter shafts, they just look a bit weird from behind though as they don't
fill the arches properly, but on a Mk3 with the different rear arches this
shouldn't be a problem.

Rich
Northampton
England

>       Third-          Are you going to press those things yourself?

Hmmm, Difficult, but not impossible, they have been known to pull off by hand
before once the nut has been undone!!!!  I know this sounds unbelievable, but
I've seen it happen(once)  :-)

>       Fourth-         You will most likely run into clearance problems.
>                               The spring sits a little lower and the axles
>stand
>                               a little wider. Result-tires hit fenders.

Probably be OK with the shorter shafts.  The shaft length has NO bearing on the
camber of the rear wheels as the verticle link should pivot to accomodate this!

>If your willing to go through all that work, than you should replace
>your shocks, diff mounts, bushings and u-joints as well. This ='s $$$
>It is, however, the route I took on my '64 restoration and I didn't
>notice much of a difference in handeling. A bit less roll but I think
>that an anti roll bar would have given about the same increase in
>performance. If I had to do it over again, I would have replaced the
>shocks with a set of Konis, replaced the mounts, installed urathane
>bushings, new u-joints and an Addco 5/8" anti roll bar. Good tires can
>also make a big difference. Oh yea- If you need to replace your leaf
>spring, I would suggest TRF over Vic Brit. Good luck!
Hmmm, could add up to alot of postage cost seeing as he's a UK lister!! :-)

Rich
Northampton
England.