Re: driving questions

To: karim.marouf@cancom.com
Subject: Re: driving questions
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 18:15:03 -0800
Cc: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
karim.marouf@cancom.com wrote:

> When you're lugging your motor (i.e. flooring it in too high a gear on a
> hill), how exactly are you damaging the motor (disregarding pre-ignition)?
> Are the main bearings being damaged because not enough oil is circulating,
> or are the cyclinder walls being scored for the same reason?

I have heard that lugging the engine causes eneven wear on the rod
journals and cause them to become out of round.  Has anybody else heard
that?

> Another question: if you're running your motor on the freeway at 4500 rpm,
> are you causing a lot more wear than if you had an overdrive and were only
> using 2500 rpm?

The answer here seems obvious.  The more RPM's the engine is turning
means that the crankshaft needs to turn more times to go the same
distance as if the RPM's were less.  Fewer turns means less wear.

Joe Curry