Re: Bad Coil?

To: Bob Danielson <rdaniels@snet.net>
Subject: Re: Bad Coil?
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 13:28:24 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Triumph <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Wed, 26 Nov 1997, Bob Danielson wrote:

> Just had the alternator on my 75 TR6 rebuilt and, it may be coincidence, but
> the car has started to miss. It did it a little before but rather
> infrequently. The problem appears to be much worse when the lights and
> heater fan are on. I've tried the plugs gapped at both .025 and .035 with no
> improvement. It has a Lucas Sport coil and I'm wondering if it's the
> culprit. Is there anyway to test it and if it is bad what's the best unit to
> replace it with?

I've no idea how to test a coil, but the Moss parts catalogue suggest that
you check the low-tension lead (under the dist. cap) for signs of fraying
or breakage.  I don't know if it's on the TR6 dizzy but on the TR4 (and
many other Lucas dist) it's a cotton-covered wire, relatively thin, that
goes from the coil leads to the breaker points (it's cotton covered so
that it can move back and forth with the movement of the advances without
fatiguing)

Mine is frayed and will need to be replaced.  If this wire goes bad, the
car will miss, and eventually cease to run.

Just a thought...

-Malcolm