A-post renovation

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: A-post renovation
From: "Dr T. Dafforn" <td214@cus.cam.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 17:35:05 +0000 (GMT)
I'm in the middle of big renovations to my very rusty (and trusty)
Spitfire 1500 (sophie). Just about replaced the floor on one side and am
now investigating the A post...
Horror of horrors RUST..
the lower hinge support inside the A-post is pretty rusted out, explains
the line of rust bubbles on the front of the A-post..
My question is, has anyone tried to repair this sort of thing with out
total removal of the A-post?
I think I should be able to do this with some clever use of an angle
grinder and some repair sections plug welded into place, its just I worry
about what might be lurking underneath.
Can't reply too quickly as I am and only a Digest person...
Cheers
Tim