Re: starter (oops?!?)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Subject: Re: starter (oops?!?)
From: Peter Ficklin <pficklin@qnis.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 12:41:29 -0800
Peter Zaborski wrote:
<SNIP>
> In the meantime I am perusing the web for useful info and stumble on to
> an article about starter problems (I must point out that I have no
> problems with my starter prior to any of the above). The article
> (http://www.team.net/sol/tech/starter.html - quite good actually)
> contains a statement which practically makes my heart miss a beat,
> namely:
>
> "3.. Don't use emery cloth or any other kind of abrasive material on the
> commutator. If it needs cleaning or turning, take it to a shop."
>
> Oh my god I say to myself, what the h&*% have I done now. As I
> understand it, the commutator is the casing at the front of the starter
> (the part facing the front of the TR6 when properly installed). I
> definitely applied a fair amount of wire brushing to this part to get it
> nice and shiny. Although I don't understand what harm could have come
> from cleaning the housing with a drill mounted wire brush, I'm no EE so
> I welcome any insights into this matter. Am I just being paranoid or did
> I really screw myself bigtime here?
------------------------------
Peter,
  Congrats on a clean starter!  I'll be the first to jump in and quite
possibly stick my foot in my mouth ( I just can't help it... ).  I'm no
EE either, but I think you're OK.  It sounds like you cleaned the
starter housing up real well, and didn't touch the commutator.  It's the
part of the rotor (parts that turn inside) that the brushes touch to get
electricity to the windings on the rotor.  So, IMHO, your OK, I'm OK
:?)

Peter Ficklin
'63 & '68 Spits