Early Stromberg Carb Question-Final

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Early Stromberg Carb Question-Final
From: jmike@sky.net
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 19:41:49 -0600 (CST)
Re: miss on one cylinder at idle, confirmed diagnosis of bad intake manifold
gasket the other day.   This, after all the questions about how to adjust the
carb, all the work with the plugs, points, etc.

This car has always had a tendency to run on when you shut it off, especially
after a hard drive.  I've always heard this was bad for a motor, but never
really understood why until now.  The run on creates pressure in the inside of
the manifold, instead of a vacumn, and the gasket is not supposed to be able to
handle this reverse force.   So, I am having the engine decarbonized and making
sure the timing is spot on, and I will always let the clutch out as I shut the
engine down.

However, I did my first tune up on the engine, and did'nt break anything, so
one
more valuable lesson learned.   Thank you, listers for all of your help.  Also,
thank you for the occasional spasms of humor that I run across.   I giggled for
about 15 minutes at work today over the Hill Country Triumph translation of our
new friend from France.

Mike Barron
70 TR6
60 TR3