Re: your mail

To: James Charles Ruwaldt <jruwaldt@indiana.edu>
Subject: Re: your mail
From: Zink <zink@pdq.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 01:19:28 -0600
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
James Charles Ruwaldt wrote:

> I think the main reason the Mustang sold so much faster than the
> Corvette
> is that it's a more practical car.  After all, most people have little
> use
> for a two-seater, even though a Mustang's back seat isn't really
> suited to
> holding more than kids.  Our cars, for example, may have been a lot
> less
> expensive than Corvettes, but they probably didn't sell much better,
> which
> may have been because few people would own one as a first car,
> families
> almost entirely unlikely.  You can't say from sales figures that the
> Mustang is a better car than the Corvette.  They just show that people
> have had more use for Mustangs.
> Jim Ruwaldt
> '72 TR6 CC79338U
> Bloomington, IN
>
> On Wed, 19 Nov 1997, Joe Curry wrote:
>
> > fred thomas wrote:
> > >
> > > Interesting note on vettes, watching the speed vision channel on
> the dish
> > > Sun. and this question was asked, What did Mustang do in less than
> 2
> > > years that it took vettes 40 years to do ?? One Million sales.
> >
> > That begs for the assertion that cheap cars usually sell more than
> > expensive ones.  But lets look at the competing vehicle.  I think it
> > took the Camaro far less than 40 years to top One Million.
> >
> > Also, one must note that collector value is much higher on the
> Corvette
> > because of the limited numbers produced (by design).
> >
> > Joe Curry  '63 Spit (previous Vette owner)

OK, the Mustang was aimed at MR. and MRS. Middleclass suburban America,
who had 2.5 children.  It was sportier than a Falcon and not as expesive
as the Galaxy.  It was designed to fill a gap in a youth oriented
market, which it did quite well.  Ford didn't realize that by throwing
in a 4 speed and a V8, that it would attract the numbers of teenage
drivers.  But inovative styling and enough room to do your thang
at the passion pit, made it one of the hottest selling cars ever.  Not
to mention that when it came out you could buy one for less than $3000.
Which was cheaper than our LBC's, and it wasn't Insurance classed as a
sports car, so Insurance was cheap.

Larry Zink
1964 Spitfire4
Houston