Re: TR4 (trunk lettering)

To: Triumph List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR4 (trunk lettering)
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 22:56:07 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 19 Nov 1997, Sholtes IV wrote:

>   Eureka! on page 67, of Car and Driver (Vol.7, Issue #10), for April,
> 1962, (green cover with white Sunbeam Harrington Le Mans picture on it)
> there is a rear three quarter aerial (from a ladder) picture of a TR 4.
> It clearly shows the trunk, and it clearly shows only the block
> lettering T R I U M P H above the marker plate.
>   The "Road Research Report" goes on to say that the TR 4 really didn't
> show much/enough mechanical improvement over the TR 3.  Man, if they
> only knew how long Triumph was going to milk this cow, they would've
> burned the barn...  Glad they didn't, or else we wouldn't have any of
> these delightfully anarchistic labors of love to argue the finer points
> of.
>   The TR 4 in the advertisement on page 15 shows only a three-quarter
> FRONT view, against a much lower New York City skyline.
>   I have my Dad to thank for saving this and a few other old Car &
> Driver, and Road & Track magazines.  It's an ever renewable legacy.

Yes, that sounds like the one I remember.  I have it around here
somewhere...

Does it show the dashboard?  If so, what shape is the ash tray?  If it is
the normal rectangular TR4 ash tray, then it is probably a production
model.  If it is wider and trapezoidal in shape, then I think it's a
preproduction demo car.  If you have an original TR4 driver's handbook,
you'll see the trapezoidal ash tray in figure 1, the photo showing the
dashboard layout.  I've never seen a TR4 with that type of ash tray.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily driver)
fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us