Re: Corvettes [was: your mail]

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, Chip Mautz <cmautz@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Corvettes [was: your mail]
From: "Douglas Mitchell" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 15:15:42 -0500 "Re: Corvettes [was: your mail]" (Nov 19, 3:10pm)
> Subject: Re: Corvettes [was: your mail]
> At 11:30 AM 11/19/97 PST, you wrote:
> >Richard Jackson wrote:
> >     > [snip]....to understand the American's, just look at the Corvette.
> >

> >And look at the other "plastic" American sports-GTs; the Viper GTS
> >and Carrol Shelbys Series 1.  Who could deny them?  The Viper is
> >certainly in the Ferrari and Aston-Martin DB7 league.
>
> The new Corvette's body is no longer fiberglass, right?  Isn't it aluminum
> now?
> >
> >But I still prefer the DeTomaso Pantera!
> >

> Those can be had at a steal these days.  17-20k for a world class performer
> (and overheater - you think a triumph overheats!)
>
> Another cool car made here in America is the Panoz AIV Roadster.  Limited
> production right now, but soon to be available at your local Ford dealer
> (if they're lucky).  2 seat roadster - they use aluminum for their frame!
> They're the only ones in the world doing it, and it's amazing!
>
> I saw a car that got hit by a Chevy Lumina (3500-4000 lbs) and it wasn't
> totalled, and the driver wasn't hurt.  This was an off-center front
> accident - not a headon (off-center hits do more damage to the car,
> passengers, etc.).  The motor still ran in the thing.
>
> Oh yeah - the motor comes from Ford - their new 4.6 32 valve V8 SVT Cobra
> engine - good for 305 hp, all emissions, servicable at Ford Dealers.  Most
> of the pieces come from different existing vehicles - Ford's, Mazda's, etc.
>
> See it at http://www.panozauto.com.  I'm not a salesman, just fortunate to
> take one for a spin last Saturday!  0-60 in 4-4.4 seconds, 1600 lbs, 305hp
> V8, 5 spd ZF, etc. - what a blast!
>
> Chip
> (65hp Spitfire - on a good day!)
>
> ----------
> Chip Mautz
> Greenbrier & Russel
> Atlanta, Ga
>
> "Life is too short to drive boring cars"
>-- End of excerpt from Chip Mautz

Chip,

The Corvette is still 'glass. The Panoz not only has an aluminum
frame, but also has an aluminum body. Hence the AIV - aluminum
intensive vehicle. The engine is modified by Roush Industries.

We had one in our facility a couple of months ago, good looking
car and it is quick. Side curtains and air conditioning - what
a combination. Have they rearranged the console? On the car that
we had, you were going to mash your hand on 2-3 and 4-5 shifts.

Cheers,
Doug Mitchell
dmitchel@ismi.net
dmitchel@ford.com