spit taillights

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: spit taillights
From: rlwillia@sccm.cc.ne.us (Rob L Williams)
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 16:13:23 -0600
At last, some information I can use.  My son inherited my Dad's Spitfire, a
real early Mark I (FC 0526L) and since he's only 14 I get to be the chief
mechanic.  I've noticed at Nebraska Triumph Driver's Shows that all the
other Spits have a taillight lens that is not the same as our car has.
I've also noticed that the lens on our Spit is exactly the same as lenses
on all the MGA's.  I was kind of worried because Dad at one time had 2
MGA's and thought he might have done a little "modification" using some of
the parts that he had one hand after my brother rolled one of the MGA's.
So Andy Mace is saying that is did happen that some Spits had the "generic"
(MGA) taillight and lenses?  Any idea how many of how many cars were thusly
equipped?
For Joe Curry's info, the car is a Spitfire Mark I  FC0526L Spa White and
located in Carleton, Nebraska.  It runs well but suffers from some body and
floorboard rusting so we are trying to get it back into beautiful shape.
We have the British Motor Heritage Production Certificate with the date of
assembly if anyone needs that info.

Rob Williams