Wiring compressor

To: list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, Chris Prugh <prubrew@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Wiring compressor
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 20:08:28 -0500
 Chris Prugh writes:

>> I came by a "new" (about .25 hrs on it) compressor made by >Hitachi.
>> All of the directions, ID numbers etc. are in Japanese.  The >electrical
>needs are
>> easy to make out though, calling for either 200 or 220 V.  My >biggest
>concern
>> at this point is one tag which is in english says "220V, 4 >pole".  I of
>very limited
>> electrical knowledge, have NO IDEA what this means.
>>      The cable leading to the on/off switch has four wires coming >out,
all
>> of which are currently fitted with circle end crimp on >fittings.  The
>colors of the wires
>> are Black, Red, White, and Green.  The Black, Red and White >are all
>interconnected
>> by some sort of resistor thingies, three in all.  One between >red and
>black, one between
>> black and white, and one between red and white.  The green >wire stands
>alone.
>> (as does the cheese I hear)
>>      Can someone tell me what these thingies do?  How would I >connect
these
>> four wires to a standard three prong 220 plug, such as that >used for my
>dryer in
>> my garage?  Or do I need a four prong plug and a new outlet >box ? "

Chris

Careful here, I'll bet this is a 3 phase motor.  Unless you ahve 3 phase
power (and almost nobody
in the US does) you will need to replace the motor!  Sorry.

The horsr power of a 3 phase motor is:
     V x A x SQ(3) x (efficiency)
So the HP will be: HP =  220 x 3.3 x 1.73 x efficiency
Assuming a 50% efficiency would yeild .84 HP.  I think a 1 HP motor will
suffice.

As far as the "three resistor thingies" I'll bet they're surge suppression
devices, either MOV's or
something like that to reduce the EMI generated when the starter pulls in
or drops out.

Dave Massey BSEE 1976