Re: springs

To: SSwan60@aol.com
Subject: Re: springs
From: WINDOWSEET@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 19:06:52 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi, Scott;

Springs for the GT6 are available from several sources including Eibach,
Detroit Spring, Turchoice, Carrerra, TSI and the big three. I've been doing
research on springs and shocks for my 1970 GT6+ and find that the best bet
(and cheapest) is to have the front springs shortened by 1/2 coil. This
lowers the car and increases the spring rate. Just enough to improve handling
but not make the car uncomfortable on bumpy roads. Competition springs are
fine for smooth road racing courses but bumpy roads will make the ride
unacceptable. You are better off increasing the front roll bar from the stock
5/8" to 7/8" and adding a 5/8" rear bar. (Both available from ADDCO). This
will have no affect on straight line ride and little affect over bumps, but
it will provide increased roll stiffness on turns. As for shortening the
springs I am assuming that your current springs are in good shape and haven't
lost their stiffness. The springs can be cut with an acetylene torch and
while they are still hot the end bent to sit square against the spring seat
on the shock. There are instruction on doing this in a book on suspension
tuning which I don't have with me at the moment and can't recall the title.
If you want to go with the budget method I would be willing to fax you the
article or email you the book title and author when I return home on the 19th
of November. If you need addresses on any of the spring suppliers let me know
or check the Monster List at VTR.

Hope this helps;

Greg Wolf
1970 GT6+ "Ian"