Re: fuel lines revisited (and flaring tools)

To: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Subject: Re: fuel lines revisited (and flaring tools)
From: Michael Marr <mmarr@execpc.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 16:14:12 -0600
Peter Zaborski wrote:

> [...]

Here goes!  The generally accepted definition of a compression fitting,
in my experience, is one that relies on the frictional force between the
compression sleeve, or olive, and the tubing, to hold the joint
together.  Flare fittings are not compression fittings in this sense
because they are held together by the mechanical interaction of the
flare nut, the flared portion of the tube, and the flare fitting.
Certainly, friction is involved, but in order for a flare fitting to
separate under load the tube will have to deform, whereas a compression
fitting will fail when the internal pressure is enough to overcome the
frictional force between the components.

Also, I believe the correct term for the "olive" is compression sleeve.
A ferrule is the small metal tube that fits inside a compression fitting
used on poly tubing to stop the tubing from collapsing when the fitting
is tightened.  Thus, the ferrule fits inside the tube and the sleeve and
nut fit outside the tube.

Having said all this, I now wait for different opinions.  Isn't this
fun?