Re: 73 TR6 Alternator Wiring

To: ottenr@clark.net
Subject: Re: 73 TR6 Alternator Wiring
From: mxgo@ix.netcom.com
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 1997 21:14:34 -0600 (CST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Cc: DANMAS@aol.com
On 11/08/97 19:47:14 you wrote:

>mxgo@ix.netcom.com wrote:
>>
>> In looking at the wiring to the lucas alternator, I have the following:
>>
>> 1.  At the 3:00 o'clock position I have the plastic plug with three wires,
>at the fartherest most point (from the center
of
>> the alternator) there is a brown/yellow wire, second toward the center,
>there is a large brown wire, and the third wire
is
>> also another large brown wire.
>>
>> 2.  At the 6:00 o'clock position there is the small brown.
>>
>> I know one of the large brown wire goes to the starter.  My question is what
>is the function of the second large brown
wire
>> and if you wish to use an GM alternator, where do you connect this second
>large brown?
>>
>> Martin
>> 73 TR6
>XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
>
>Martin I have a TR-6 '73, If you need assistance EMAIL me I went through
>it last year.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Bob

I checked with a friend (non-list) who also has a 73 TR6, with the same wiring
setup that I described above, who hooked up
the wires to a GM alternator as follows:  the two large brown wires went to the
screw terminal, the brown/yellow wire went
to the right connector on top of the alternator, and the left connector on top
of the alternator. His top alternator
connections came with a dual connector plastic plug.  The left connector had a
red wire lead.  Both of our cars have
voltmeters instead of ammeters.

Since he has a spare GM alternator, he will give it to me next time I visit him.

Bob: is that the hook up that you did on your 73 TR6 GM alternator ?

As a matter of interest, on an El Camino, the top left connector has a red
jumper wire that goes to the screw connection.  I
believe that the srew connector has a small ground connected to the battery
ground terminal.

Dan: If enought 73 TR6s have this alternator wire setup, perhaps an addendum
could be added to the vtr alternator page? It
would really help us electrically challenged individuals.  I for example, got a
gift "D" for a required electrical course in
college.

Bob and Dan thanks for the help.

Martin